Friday, May 27, 2005

Wedding stuff and other rambling

Allison and I printed out wedding invites and rsvp cards today. I've been having problems with my officejet printer so I was hesitant to use it, but it turned out ok. Interesting... the warranty is up and it starts having problems. I think sometimes they buy parts that will malfunction after a certain period of time.

Anyways, Allison and I agree that having expensive invites was a waste of money. People are just going to use it and throw it out. I'd rather put more money to the party. But the after-party (one of my responsibilities) is coming together a whole lot better. The after party situation is set up at the bar/club we want. My friend Stevie's friend's older brother is the head chef at the bar and so he might/probably hook us. Then I got all my friends that will DJ. The place has a jukebox and pool table for those that won't/don't dance. This is going to be fun. Now we just got to get a photographer.

So we went on Tuesday to check out the photographer of one of my students. I preface this by saying my thoughts on the situation have nothing to do with her as a student. I knew as soon as we walked in it wasn't going to be the right one, but I followed through with the little play. So first off the guy was this old, balding, and shuffling Mexican guy. I'm wondering if he will be able to get around at the party. We wanted documentary style preferably digital. There wasn't a computer in the place. The pictures on the wall... blown up glamour shots from what looked like the 80s judging by the hair and clothing style. We said that we wanted wedding photography and video stuff and he takes us over to this one room. As soon as he opened the door I was tripped out. There was a marble floor and a piano. As I went in it got stranger. In the left hand corner closest to the entrance there was a mirror and dresser set. To the right of the piano was a wrap around bar and he lighted up the fluorescent beer sign. Then on the right was an old school video camera. He started talking about having Allison come in early and sit in front of the mirror and pretend to get ready for the wedding. I could tell he had all these scenarios in mind and so I cut him off and said we were doing a non-traditional wedding. He then got up and went outside. We followed him and he started talking about going to a rose garden to take pictures. I said that we already had the wedding location and that was where we were going to do things. He started saying that the rose garden was wonderful and then he started showing me all these pictures from the rose garden with my student in them. It was weird. After showing us all the rose garden photos Allison asked him if he had wedding photos. One taken at a wedding. Then he says he has more quinceneros photos but he has wedding stuff. Then he takes us over to sit down and show us wedding photos. Here was where my will was tested. I was going to fuckin bust up laughing. The photos were all these posed cheesy photos. Couples back to back. Sitting in front of faux backgrounds doing all kinds of poses. I couldn't look at Allison cause I knew that if I did then I would bust up laughing. Hey maybe it's a Mexican thing and that's the way they do their wedding stuff. That's fine. But it is sooooo not me. He was talking to us about not doing Vietnamese weddings cause they wanted him to get up early in the morning and go to their house to take pictures of the bride in the morning. He said it was too early and there were things happening with among the women that he didn't want to see. If there was an anti-what-we-want-in-a-photographer, then he would have been it. Allison said, "I'm not gonna sit in front of no damn mirror and pretend to get ready for my wedding while he takes pictures!" After we left I lost my shit. Good fucking laugh. One of those muscle relaxing full body laughs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An engineer I know says that eprom chips in most electronics are programmed to make the machine fail right after warranty expiration, so there's no big mystery about why this happens.