Monday, May 09, 2005

It's official!!!

I hate grading. It fucking sucks shit. No other way to put it. When kids have low skill due to whatever reason how can I really fairly judge them at their grade level. I can see where they need to be, but how do I grade them? It's not fair to grade a child and link funding to schools based on this ridiculously classist, racist, norm referenced test. The test is made for the dominant culture. Those not of that culture, unfamiliar with that culture, timid in that culture, or defiant of that culture will not do well.

A problem I see is that society places too much importance on the form of the message instead of the message. We focus on the finger pointing to the moon instead of the moon. Important human messages can be communicated through all the dialects, pidgins, or creoles in the world. But power is placed in one variation. That is the standard. I'm writing this in English not American. Am I to grade a kid based in large part on their adherence to narrow WASP standards?

"I'm sorry, I'm fittin' to get me a new pencil does not probably communicate your idea."

"You should say, "I would like to get a new pencil."
or
"I am going to buy a new pencil."

Just bitching while I take a break from grading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Happiness

The way to experience ultimate happiness is to let go of all worries and regrets, and to know that being happy is the most satisfying of life's feelings. Reflect back on all the progress in your life and allow the positive, creative and joyous thoughts to outshine and overwhelm any sorrow or grief that may linger in the recesses of your mind. Knowing that disease and disaster are natural parts of life is the key to overcoming adversity with a calm and happy spirit. Happiness is waiting there in front of you. Only you can decide whether or not you choose to experience it. Take this to heart.

Me said...

Thank you for your kind words. I don't know whether I agree with that concept of ultimate happiness and whether I can experience such a thing. I tend to see happiness as a byproduct of praxis. Also, for me the most satisfying feeling is when I am doing what is best for me not when I am doing what I want. Though those are not mutually exclusive. However, I greatly appreciate that you have taken time to comment to me and I am encouraged by your caring words