Monday, May 30, 2005

Dancing in Carnaval

Carnaval was crazy fun. Allison and I got up early and drove into the city and parked at the police station. I didn't realize how primo parking this was until later on. It was literally right next to the entrance of the post parade grounds. It was also at the end of the parade route in case you wanted to jet afterwards. Few things make me more happy and excited than good parking in the city.

We walked over to our group and people were still getting ready. We were 30th in line so we wouldn't be moving for a while. So I took time to say hi to everyone and then stretch out and stuff. If you are going to shake that ass then you got to be loose.

We were all camped out in front of this Asian family's driveway. This whole mess of scantily clad women. The people living in the house were looking down at everyone from above. How's that to wake up to in the morning?

So I was going around taking a bunch of pictures while Allison was getting all done up. All I had to do was put on gold sequin pants, a belt, and a vest. I wasn't in a hurry to rush out of my clothing. I realize from the pictures that my pants were totally see through in the sun. But hey modesty isn't the watchword with Carnaval.

The actual parade went by so fast. And I just want to say that my fear of bustin wood didn't come true. But at some points we were running. We were like 2 blocks back from the other float. It was crazy. There was one sequence when everyone was totally off beat from each other, but other than that I thought we did pretty good. It was funny cause the girls were harassing cops standing around. They would go up to them and go freaky on them. The guys would just stand around smiling. Rough patrol.

It was really fun to dance in Carnaval with Allison. We met through Samba/Capoeira. BCA are my family. I've known these guys for a long time. I lost touch for a while, but now Allison and I are starting to reconnect with people. It's a beautiful thing to reconnect with people and see how they have grown. All the little kids are now turning into young adults. It's crazy cause I'm getting old. Kids are or have been growing up in front of my eyes. And the best part is that they've turned into good people.

No comments: