Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Pedagogy and Praxis Day 13

Today I had to sit in with the geometry lab. And of course the geometry lab decided to act up with me cause I'm not normally there. They decided that they wanted to play computer games and surf the internet. I didn't argue or get heated... cause I got a lot of sleep last night. I just calmly marked off hours on their contracts. This being calm thing is great. Then I gave them all the practice STAR test for math. It was here that I had an incident with one student that decided that he would rather surf the internet than do the test. I calmly asked him to get off the internet and he gave me attitude saying that he was going to surf the net and do his test at the same time. So I just asked him to leave to the principal's. But he was intercepted by Gina and Corrina. They bust his chops for a bit and he poorly apologized and I let him back in the room. I also had another student give me major attitude and give me a fake name cause I didn't have her contract, but I found out her name later and talked to her CTM. So nice to be new...

Meta was good again. We did seating charts that probably need to be tweaked but still were good. Then we gave them a rules quiz and had them pass it backwards and grade in red ink the paper they got. This made for less grading for me and Amanda... NICE!!! We also had our TA grade the journals. I saw her grading afterwards, she grades harder than we do. After that we talked a bit about conflict resolution and conflict management style. I gave my own experience of conflict resolution that I learned from having problems with Allison. At one point we were fighting so much that we went to couples therapy. The best thing we got out of that was this set of rules for arguing. I'll post those rules later. But then we gave a self evaluation quiz on conflict management styles and we talked about the various styles of conflict management. Then we intro'ed for the next part on conflict management and class ended here.

No comments: