Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Pedagogy and Praxis Day 12

Today was STAR testing. It sucked. I hate giving the test. There are so many things I would rather be doing... like pulling my eyelashes one by one or shoving things under my fingernails. But it is supposed to be done. One reason that I really don't like the test is that it is norm referenced. That means there will always be someone that is at the bottom of the scale, cause they will always be compared to someone else. If you want to see if kids know information give them criteria referenced tests. If they know the answer they get the points. That way you set kids up for success. Norm referencing sets kids up for failure.

After the stupid STAR test, I cleaned out the computer lab in preparation for my friends Brian and Jeremy. The place was a disgusting mess. Fuckin scary in there. Half eaten pizzas in the corner... various types of feces from whatever animals.... spiders... I got some students that needed to work off detention hours to help clean and mop the place. Now the room actually looks like an almost normal room. But once we start moving things again there will be more dirt and shit that we have to clean. But at least now we made our lives a bit easier. The computer mice are missing balls (students neutering them). We can't access the any of the control panels and the passwords don't work. It's a positively brilliant situation that will benefit greatly from my computer whiz friends. Jeremy was talking about putting open source stuff all on the computers like linux.

No comments: