Monday, June 27, 2005

Stern Grove

Yesterday was Allison's 30th birthday and we went to Stern Grove to celebrate. They've completely remodeled Stern Grove and it's waaay cooler. There are stepped terraces and stone boundaries just give the entire place a calmer atmosphere. You don't feel as claustrophobic now cause of the way they rearranged things. I guess you'd have to say that it's a tradition going to Stern Grove in the summer. I have to admit that it's one of my favorite things to do in the Bay Area during the summer. Free concerts with great music. We listened to O-Maya and Ojos de Brujo. It was great, a bunch of people showed up for Allison's birthday and when we sang happy birthday to her the entire area of people surrounding us joined in. There had to be around 100 people singing happy birthday to her and after the song was over the place erupted into cheers for her. It was really cool. She was really happy. After the concert was over we just chilled in the park. The sun didn't come out till the end of the day so when it did come out everyone was drunk and no one wanted to go anywhere. So there we were lying in the sun drunk and happy. Actually Stern Grove was one of the first places that I ever met up with Allison when we were first started to get to know each other. I remember Tabla Beat Science was playing and I was hanging out with my party crew and Allison came with her friends. They weren't able to get in cause the place was so crowded, but she was able to sneak in and come say hi to me.

Stern Grove was packed yesterday. It always is. Because we are in perpetual lag mode we didn't get there till noon. The show starts at 2 but you have to get there early to get a spot. When we got there at noon it was already almost filled up but luckily our friend Kira and Ken were out there early and reserved a spot for us. Now that we've realized that it's a tradition, Allison and I have started to invest in more picnic type stuff. Allison got a blanket with a water resistant bottom and a cooler with wheels. Cooler with wheels is key, I don't know why it took so long for someone to come up with it. Wheels=less work. A bunch of people were taking pictures so I'll post a bunch of when they email them to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Allison!!! Best Wishes and Lots of love from Portland....