Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Rambling

I went to see Reverend Billy and the Church of stop shopping on Sunday. I went with a group of friends and I had to say that it was pretty funny. The guy is not a real reverend but doing political activist comedy. The group's message does have a moral quality to it. I mean they are telling people to stop shopping, in particular to not shop with the big transnational corporations. I think they realized that they might start to sound sanctimonious with their message. So why not go a step further and be sanctimonious. Become a religious organization. Satire. I love it. The crowd was into it too. Yelling out change-allujah, amen brother, and other religious type stuff. They also brought in the Billboard Liberation Front. They are a cool group that is doing a lot of subversive culture jamming work.

I'm thinking that I want to do a culture jamming or media class as a Wednesday class. I'd have a lot of fun with that, though I would have to walk a thin line about talking about subversive stuff and condoning students' subversive behavior. Not that I personally mind at all if they did subversive stuff but at the same time... I don't want to get kids in trouble.

3 comments:

Kira said...

one thing that I always thought is be a great class is a "media Awareness" class. e.g. bring in a video tape of one of their favorite shows. Sit them down and ask them to Count the number of advertisements, make a tallly of what the ads were, and then have them each deconstruct their favorite ads.

I've had that one work wonders in the past.

Me said...

sounds like a lesson plan for me... I'll do it

Anonymous said...

Another fun activity is to turn the sound off with an ad and count the number of seconds between cuts. Actually, just watching with the sound off can reveal many formal features of TV (and film) we take for granted. You can compare ads from different decades and plot the changes. I also recommend Doug Rushcoff's "Merchants of Cool" documentary from Frontline.