Friday, June 10, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 37

In my Asian American studies class I gave them time to work on their projects. I absolutely love the fact that it is the week before presentations and some even haven't started conducting research yet. I spent my time correcting tests/talking with students. It's cool cause I'm really establishing a good rapport with some students. I guess it hasn't worked out for some people. There is one part time teacher that gets picked on by students.

In my US history class I gave them the test on the Spanish American war and WWI. I absolutely love the fact that students don't know the answers to 10 question tests that we went over in class and they made up the questions. Lovely. After that we worked on the project.

In my multicultural class I gave the test where they had to give 5 arguments for and 5 arguments against the use of the word nigger. I also asked them to tell me what they thought of it and would they continue to use the word.

For 4th period I went searching for students that hadn't chosen a date to do their presentations. I ended up in the SOTU (sisters of the underground) class. This is a class about hip hop culture and graffitti, turntablism, and breakdancing. I got to try scratching cause there was a DJ that was teaching scratch. It looked like too much fun and I had to try it. I wish I'd had a class like this when I was in high school.

My biggest accomplishment today was fixing the P4 problem in my class. I got the sound working and I installed firefox on it. But more about open source later.

No comments: