Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 46

I taught film analysis and Capoeira today. We're watching "The Godfather" in film analysis. We talked today about different genres of film and some basic vocabulary. At some point I'm going to show "Enter the Dragon" and talk martial arts films. But the Godfather is going to take a good chunk of time to get through. It's 175 minutes. Yeah I'm fucking taking it a bit easy.

Let me just say that school is so much cooler when you start at the beginning of the year instead of a few months before school ends.

I taught Capoeira for my second period. I haven't wanted to do Capoeira and I've never liked teaching it. My mestre would said to me that he wouldn't ask me to teach Capoeira anymore cause everytime he did I quit. I taught them to ginga, bencao, and negativa. Then we practiced cartwheels. There are some kids in the class that I'm going to enjoy kicking. It's a very important teaching tool. Bencao is the front kick and it means blessing. The kids that can play a little just do moves around each other. They need to be kicked to recognize the fact that they are playing with someone. Nothing like a kick to the chest or stomach to gain someone's attention. A good blessing now will save a lot of pain in the future. If Capoeira isn't martial then it isn't Capoeira. If Capoeira isn't a dance then it isn't Capoeira.

No comments: