Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 54

So I started off the day with the student doing a journal write. It was to think about your life. Think about your friends, family and the people that you surround yourself with. Think about your actions and the things that you do. If you were to continue down the path that you are on where would you be in 10 years? in 20? Would you be happy? What would you like your future to be? If your present path will not lead you to your future, what do you need to change to lead you to the future you want?

In my first period class, I first did a recap of ancient Greece and then asked students about cultural practices and if there were absolute truths or only relative truths. It was cool cause in a short while there was a general agreement that things were culturally acceptable unless they hurt someone. Then to intro into the Sappho reading, I took Cornell Notes with them on the 4 different types of Greek Love: Eros, Philia, Agape, and Storge. Then we read "Hymn to Aphrodite" and I broke down the poem for them. I did this cause I wanted to show them how reading poetry can be unlocking a hidden message. To speak about a mood or feeling that cannot be expressed in words, yet one still tries. After this was done, I started in on Constantinian and Prophetic Christianity all the while taking Cornell Notes with them. I talked about the Eastern Roman empire and Constantinople. Then I asked students why was Constantinople such an important place? What about its location made it so important? A really cool student talked about trade and water routes. This led me to the importance of water in moving around goods. I talked a bit about why New Orleans would be rebuilt and then about the Panama Canal. Then I started to talk about Christ and why the Romans wanted to kill him. I spoke about his subversive speech and actions and how the Romans couldn't allow for an authority higher than the Roman Empire. Class ended on prophetic Christianity.

In my second period, I started off recapping the Opium War. Then I talked about the Treaty of Nanjing and the beginning of the "Century of Humiliation." Then European nations carving up China and Chinese nationalistic responses. I had fun talking about this and how the Chinese martial arts masters thought they could stop bullets with their powerful chi. I talked a bit about chi and kiai and its purpose. I kiaied a bit for the students and they laughed. Made some jokes about kiaing.

In my 3rd period class, I had students write on the Cornell Note transparency to the overhead. They wrote out the information that they collected about each of the Asian countries that we will be studying. I want to provide them different opportunities and formats within which to use Cornell Notes. Plus I wanted them to have the information about the other countries. After they took down this information I started to talk about race, ethnicity, and nationality. Got to nationality and ethnicity but only started in on race as a social construct. I have to go over the Cornell Notes with them on writing up main ideas and questions to their notes. I have to model that behavior for the students and I haven't been. I'm realizing that I have model everything for them as much as possible. This is the only way that they will learn.

It was really cool cause I had a student come up to me today and say that she liked my class and history now because of it. She said that she never got history in her other history classes but she understood it when I explained it. That made me feel great. That's what it's all about. When the fluorescent light turns on above their head.

No comments: