Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 45

School started yesterday. It was crazy. We've been putting together school schedules and enrolling students and teaching classes. I hate paperwork almost as much as I hate grading. Having people fill out forms and doing all this office work. Hopefully the computer guys will come up computer system to lessen the paperwork.

The first day I read over the syllabus and told them what I expected from them. Then we did an intro activity and people paired, shared, and introduced the other person. Classes were shorter so that we could do more paperwork, interviews, more paperwork, staff-to-student meetings, more paperwork, class scheduling, and finally more paperwork.

I'm using a textbook for my world cultures because it follows the content standards but I'm going to be adding more to it. While I have major problems with the text, it is good to have a guideline to follow. Last year I was talking over kids' heads, giving them text that was too hard. I wasn't prepared or structured or what. While I'm still not prepared or structured, I am at a higher state of not prepared or structured. This time I'm getting more basic. More skill building. I gotta teach basic skills like notetaking. Today in all my classes I read a speech by MLK to students about creating their own life's blueprint. Then I assigned homework where they wrote the meaning of the speech and what their life's blueprint is. And if they didn't have one to formulate one.

After that we talked about the globe, space, the mercator map, northern bias, the arno peters map, and then we started looking at how to read an atlas. I'm going to finish up on Thursday and ask questions of them. Tomorrow I'm going to be finishing up with that and doing a reading on oppression.

No comments: