Monday, September 26, 2005

Day 63: The Praxis of Pedagogy

What a crazy crazy day. So this weekend I was correcting journals and read a journal from my CTM that was threatening to me and suicidal. It was from the same student that decided to write chink in his notebook. Sweet... So I had meeting with parents this morning. Not the shit I want to be dealing with. Fucking draining as shit. Plus I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before cause I was up grading. Did I mention that I love grading. Of all the stuff that I do for my job that I don't get paid for... grading is most favorite. Especially when the kid isn't even trying.

So 1st and 2nd period got extra long SSR. Then, I went through the study questions on the tests with all the periods. I told them that they could use notes tomorrow if they brought it in taped to a new box of kleenex or roll of paper towels. What was really cool was that the stuff that I took Cornell Notes with them on they knew. It was the stuff in the book that they had trouble with. Rather it was the stuff in the book they didn't read. Kids were flunking tests already, I figured that having them physically write down or type the answers and taping it to something was more repetition than they would normally get. I'm thinking possibly in the future of letting them use notes but only if those notes were handcopied 3X onto a piece of paper. This would allow them to use notes but also force repetition that they normally might not do. There is a certain point in your education where you just have to memorize certain shit. History is pretty much humanity's collective memory, though somewhat more biased towards the winners. They gotta memorize shit that happened in history. It wasn't until I got to college that I learned to think beyond just the regurgitation. This is the problem with standardized tests in history. There are objective facts but why they happened isn't a memorization thing. It isn't something that can be tested through multiple choice.

No comments: