Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 49

Long day today. Started off with me forgetting my coffee. Whenever that happens it never starts off good. Of course, I only remember it when I am right next to the school. Then I start cussing like a drunken sailor. No offense to drunken sailors. So then I had to buy coffee which I don't like doing... cause I'm cheap and poor. But have to have my fix.

Anyways, in my classes I had them do a journal write on summarizing the text and then telling me what they found from their homework. In what categories were they in an oppressed group and in what categories were they in a privileged group. Did that change the way they viewed oppression and themselves? Why or why not?

I kind of figured that most students wouldn't do their homework over the 3 day weekend so I gave out real easy homework. Those who wrote it out I told them to hand it in and I'd give them extra credit. So at some point I'll read it and see where people are at. I have to make up a test to give students on Friday. It's going to be on maps, timeline, and the reading.

After the journal write, I pulled sticks and asked basic questions on the reading to check for understanding. The text isn't the easiest. I got students in vastly different skill levels. I was just told and I need to verify it, but students in English High point C are working at the six grade level. There is a high point A & B. We wanted to have regular high school English classes this year but soooo many incoming students tested for High Point. What the fuck is up where students are coming in with such low skills. It isn't a matter of intelligence it's a matter of skill level.

It's a week into school and we are still enrolling people. I asked a senior teacher and she said it was because parents weren't fucking getting their shit together to enroll their kids. She said we could probably count on one hand all the students that just moved into the area and needed to enroll, the rest... It's a motherfucker cause I got to fucking enroll the kid and make up their schedule and then catch them up in any classes . So now I got 2 more in my CTM with more coming due to another orientation. Sigh... Didn't leave school until 5:30 and still had more to do.

No comments: