Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 50

Wednesday. Elective day. Take a breather day. First class film analysis. We finished up the Godfather just as the bell was ringing. Kids really responded well to it. I thought it was funny cause there is a lot of anti-black racism in the movie and the kids really got all mad at that. I mean people are being killed left and right, family is betraying family, people are getting beat down and the kids are all unhappy about racist language. But the film is great and next week we will talk about it and I'll talk about movie formulas.

The next class was my Capoeira class. This class brought a smile to my face today. I had a student that was talking all kinds of shit to me all week long. Shit like he was going to kick my ass in the roda and I better watch my back and how he'd school me. And he'd do it in front of people. I just smiled and said I'd get him on Wednesday in class. Well when class started I used my head. I started off having the kids run all around and do strenuous warmups. Then I had them practice their kicks. After a while we had the roda. I played the student first and it was really ugly. It wasn't even capoeira. I held back a lot of kicks that would have hit him in the face. I wanted to get him good. At one point when I held back a kick to the head he rushed in and tried to take me down. I wrapped his head and did a guillotine choke. Then I grabbed his leg and flipped him over. We got up and I let him go. Then I had a whole lot of other people play and towards the end I played him again. This time I played nice and slow. I lulled him into a false sense of security. Then when we were both doing the ginga and his guard was down I gave him a medium power front kick right dead center of his chest. He went flying back and down onto his knees on the ground. It was a clean clean and beautiful kick. I looked at him and said that was for talking shit all week. Then I told him to get back in the roda and continue playing. He was sucking wind and couldn't get up right away. Seeing this I stopped and decided to use that example as a teaching tool. I talked about Capoeira being a slave martial art and how they didn't want to fight force with force. I talked about how our first game was ugly cause he was expecting me to try and hit him and we were both aggressive. Then I talked about how in the last game I lulled him into relaxation with my ginga, smile, and demeanor then hit him when he was most vulnerable. That's Capoeira. I don't fear my mestre when he looks serious. I fear him the most when he is smiling the biggest. I also said that because of that kick he would get better cause he wouldn't want that to happen again and he would want to exact revenge. The front kick is called the bencao or blessing. I blessed him. The blessing made my whole day better.

No comments: