Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 57

Yesterday I had vocab quizzes for 1st and 2nd period to start the day. Then in both my first and second periods we did SQ3R reading techniques with the textbook. The fact is that the students aren't reading the text. I had maybe 3 or 4 students reading the chapter sections that I assigned. So what I'm going to do is have students be in groups and create questions for the SQ3R. Then their homework will be to read selectively through the text and answer the questions that they made for the SQ3R. That's what I am going to be doing next week. Because while I want to get through the material they also have to be reading or at least doing something to get the knowledge in the reading.

My 3rd period class was not so good. I have to hit a local asian bookstore this week to get more material that is high school level. I finished up the talk on the opium war and when I asked questions about it from the previous day a student that has low skills totally knew what was up. She really got into the opium thing. Interesting what the hooks are. Sex, drugs, death. Every student wants to hear about it. I'm always getting off track when I start talking about history cause I get so excited and start wandering, but I started talking about Europeans and germs and how dirty Europeans were and how that messed up native people that they were trying to conquer. Anyways... I need to get on the ball with this class cause it ain't so good and fuck it's my asian american class. But the other classes are easier cause at least there is a textbook.

No comments: