Monday, September 19, 2005

Day 58: The Praxis of Pedagogy

Today has been an interesting day of human interactions. One of my CTMs is 15 years old and has 3 credits to her name. She's in one of my classes and totally bombed the test. She's got some serious catching up to do in school. I had to clue her in to the gravity of the situation. I hope she will be able to truly see it. There is no one in my CTM that has higher than a C average.

In my 1st and second periods, I started off with SSR and typing tutor. Then I had them come up with SQ3R questions. Tomorrow I am going to go over the questions with them and then have them do the reading part of it.

But I got a bully in my class. He picks on this small white kid. I didn't hear it but students told me about it afterwards. I've been kind of getting that feeling from him. He's kind of a sexist homophobic young asshole. I don't know if he'll last long at the school. I'm gonna have to talk with him tomorrow.

In my Asian American class I talked about race in brazil. Why race in Brazil for an Asian American class? To introduce the idea to them of race as a social construct. A hierarchical structure of oppression. Then to key in with the idea of race and identity, I talked with students about the difference between sex and gender. Before we even really start talking about Asian people I want them to get an inkling of understanding on how race has been used.

No comments: