Friday, September 16, 2005

The Praxis of Pedagogy Day 56

I just ate at my favorite Vegan restaurant. I'm eating there again on Saturday. Allison put it best when she said that eating there you don't feel like you are giving up anything.

Anyways, I started off the day with SSR and typing tutors. 1st period wasn't so good. I finished up a talk on Constantinian Christianity and then started in on democratic developments in England.
I was just lecturing and taking notes with them which was pretty boring. My lecture was rather unexciting to me except for talking about Constantinian Christianity.

2nd period was more fun. I decided to teach the students some basic ju-jitsu. Escaping from arm grabs. Some were into it. Some weren't. But I took the biggest kid and escaped from his grabs without using a lot of strength. This helped me intro into Japan and the Meiji restoration. Then I assigned a reading about this Japanese female anarchist that tried to kill Emperor Mutsuhito. How's that for history class not being white male capitalist.

3rd period I put up a picture of Thich Quang Duc the Buddhist monk that set himself on fire. I told them the background story on why he self-immolated. I got the picture from my Century picturebook and copied it onto a transparency. Thich Nhat Hanh said that was one of the greatest acts of compassion. Then I talked a bit with them about Zen and anger. They seemed to be engaged with that. After that I gave the lecture to them about the Opium War that I gave to my 2nd period class. But this one was better. I used a tea bag to peak their interest. Oh yeah, at the end of all the classes I went over making up main ideas and questions with them and summarizing the Cornell Notes. Good class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.