Friday, October 28, 2005

Day 85: The Praxis of Pedagogy

Going to my credentialling classes always makes me really realize how bad my pedagogy is. I just don't do enough interactive activities. I'm not engaging students enough and there is a ton of things that I need to do better to get my skills better. Fuck fuck fuck.

So I changed the date of students turning in their 1st draft of their presentation. I realized that I need to show them how to use openoffice and how to make what I want. So I showed how to make a title page and a roadmap on the computer using the LCD projector and I had them draw out their presentations on pieces of white paper that I had them fold into fourths. As they were making it I came by and checked them. After that we watched "The Corporation" while I stopped every so often and commented on various parts of the film and what was happening. I did this in all the classses.

After school I got to talking with one of my more mature and intelligent students and he was giving me some suggestions about how I could teach students better. I asked him and he was kind enough to help me out. He took an incredible English class which really took his skills to a higher level and he said one of the most important things I should try to teach the kids is metacognitive strategies. Thinking about thinking. I was surprised to hear him say that of all things. Absolutely wonderful and right though. However, I've done metacognitive strategies. But I think I need to break things down even more. I am far too often presupposing that the students have skills that they should have and they don't. I am not meeting students where they are at. I am talking to them from where I think they should be.

No comments: