Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Day 83: The Praxis of Pedagogy

In all my classes after SSR, I gave a presentation on how to give presentations. I used OpenOffice Impress and talked about open source software, title pages, roadmaps, slides, and conclusions. I did a lot of briefs in college when I was doing International Relations and it was always fun for me. This was no different. It's the old drama geek in me.

Then in 1st period I finished up our discussion on income inequality and stuff. I made sure everyone took Cornell Notes and I made sure to go through the information and really help them interprete it better. I fail to realize sometimes that what seems glaringly apparent to me is not always so apparent. Kids have trouble looking at stats and extrapolating info from them. In my 2nd period, no one was able to remember what I talked about on Friday. So fucking heartbreaking. So I made them take Cornell Notes and we re-reviewed the information and I broke it down some more. Nobody fucking writes anything down. I did the same in 3rd period. I really want them to understand inequality and in particular the power of education to help decide the quality of their lives. But damn so hard cause so many students didn't do shit. But this talk on inequality is all part of a homework project that I'm going to assign next week. I haven't come up with the assignment in detail yet but it will have to do with recording their consumption of goods.

I'm going to do observations of other teachers tomorrow so I'm going to show "The Corporation" and leave a list of questions for the sub to give out. IMO, "The Corporation" is one of the best documentaries ever made. It's that good. Kids even liked it in Film analys...appreciation I mean.

No comments: