Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Day 75: The Praxis of Pedagogy

What a long fucking day! I started off with Film Analysis and we started to watch the Corporation. Great movie that really drew in the kids for the most part. A lot of them didn't want to drink milk anymore after watching the part on cows and bovine growth hormones. Long movie but I stopped a bit before the end and we talked about some of the things in the movie. It's a powerful movie.

2nd period all the kids were doing PSAT so I only had 2 kids in my capoeira class. So I took the two guys to eat Eritrean food at my favorite place. They never had Eritrean food and they liked it. One kid said that it was the squishiest food he'd ever eaten.
Then I had them practice on the berimbau for a while.

One of the kids I like a lot and I'm bummed for him cause he is in a lot of pain. He is caught up in gang life and he doesn't want to be. He was jumped in on his birthday and he didn't even know they were jumping him in. He never wanted to be in. But his mom and dad are in and all the people he hangs out with. His mom and dad. The kid drinks till he blacks out and then does crazy shit. I imagine he feels like he's in a slowly unfolding tragedy.

I think one of the most frustrating things about teenage life is the feeling that you aren't in control of your life. Kids get down and take things out on themselves. It's incredibly sad. They don't know they can be different because they aren't fully aware of who they are. Not that adults are but the teenage years are particularly painful. Puberty!!! I mean fuck that was awkward. Fuck that was painful. Physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Then after staff meeting I had to go to credentialling school. I left that early to get back to school and do back to school night. That was awkward cause i didn't have shit ready for parents. I just hadn't taken it into account. I had to run around making copies for parents. Ridiculous and embarassing. Got home at 8 and now I got to lesson plan for tomorrow. Lesson planning is some hard pain in the ass shit. Come up with something that interests kids everyday when I don't want to use the stinking textbook. Fuck.

No comments: