Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Day 74: The Praxis of Pedagogy

So in my 1st period class I gave a test where they could use 2 notecards if they copied the notes down 3 times. It was pretty cool cause almost all of the students had note cards with the answers written down 3 times. That's probably 3 times more than they would have studied for the test. I don't know though, I'll have to grade the tests and see. After the test, I introduced them to subvertising. I showed them some stuff from the billboard liberation front and a gallery of subvertisements. Then I gave them a reading on how to make a spoof ad from adbusters. It was cool cause one of the billboard liberations was of Banana Republic and had 2 women playing croquet and hugging each other. The billboard was liberated and "The Sappho Collection" was added. Since this was my class where we read Sappho, they got the reference and really seemed to enjoy being on the in. I told them they could work in groups of 3 people max and it was due next Thursday. I also told them that I was going to post it up on the wall so they should make it good. I've never had so much excitement over a homework assignment. It was fucking awesome. That alone could have made my day.

Oh yeah funny and sad story. On a previous test I gave the question, "When was the war of 1812?" 4 students didn't answer it. 1 student answered, "when they wrote the Mada Carta," which I guess is the lesser known first draft of the Magna Carta. And my favorite... "In December 22". Sigh...

Second period I gave out study questions and played the game I played with first period on Monday. I am still trying to make this game better so I was changing the rules midgame. They didn't seem to mind too much. So my new rules are that whoever wins rock, paper, scissors would get asked the question first. If they couldn't get the answer it would go to the person on the other team. If they couldn't get the answer then it would go back to the winning team and they could win team points and academic points. If that team couldn't get it then it would go back to the other team. If no one got it then I would tell the answer. Now students only got 2 academic points if they got it correct. If the team got the correct answer, then it would be one for the person that answered the question and 1 point for the team.

In 3rd period we read more of the Model Minority and then I taught them about subvertising. This class was also really excited about the assignment. I'm looking forward to really good subvertisements.

No comments: