Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Less than a week

Less than a week until I am married. Allison's parents get into town tomorrow. Things are going to start happening really fast now. It's going to be a whirlwind. From here on it's going to be more and more people coming in and everything else is on hold.

I just secured the funding for 19 computers to be put into my school and I want to be there to help put it in and figure all that stuff out. But I'm not sure when all that will happen. When my friends get in from out of town I'll want to see them. And since I'm not working right now I'll find some time or something.

We finished writing our wedding ceremony but we're going to talk it over with our friend/officiant Jare tomorrow and rework it a little. I still have to write what I want to say to Allison. I've been thinking about it for a long time but I just haven't put it into words and I need to do that. It's just really hard to say the things that I want to say to her in a short time. I also want it to be really good and memorable. There are so many angles that I want to come from but I realize that I have to narrow things down and focus on a few. If I don't then I will get incredibly long winded and bore the shit out of everyone there. I mean I've been to weddings before and when the ceremony is short and sweet it's nice.

Allison asked me why I haven't incorporated my religion into the ceremony. That got me thinking. The temple that I am closest to doesn't got the right vibe for me. I liked the atmosphere at the temple in Denmark and in the south bay. I try to follow the regulative principles and I read the text and chant but I don't really attend a temple. So while I try to follow the practices of my religion I'm not a very good adherent with respect to the community. Heck I'm not a very good devotee period.

At one time I was thinking about having the ceremony in the temple, but we are not vegetarians and so the temple would not permit it. I understand and respect that but I was bummed. While I love many of the lessons and teachings of my religion I am not a traditionalist. I like the fact that Allison and I created our own ceremony. I like the fact that these are vows that we are saying to each other. Frankly I have a problem with the patriarchy within my religion and its religious texts. I don't like patriarchy. However, I recognize there are still many important things I can learn and gain through practicing my religion.

No comments: