Friday, August 12, 2005

Computer dumping ground

Jeremy and I cleared out the old computers from the computer lab and this huge pile in the basement janitor room. There was shit in this pile from the 1980s. Older than the fucking students. How crazy is that shit. It's ridiculous they just never got moved. 1980s technology just sitting around taking up space.

Before we did this, Jeremy and I went through every classroom and opened up cabinets looking for unused computers. They were everywhere. It was ridiculous, we kept finding old unused computers everywhere. The guy from otx-west brought in 14 computers and 19 monitors and his truck was 1/3 filled. When he left the thing was 4/5ths filled with shit. Ancient and heavy hp laserjet II stuff. There was a microfiche reader. There was a typewriter. Huge heavy back stressing monitors. Thank technology for smaller and lighter shit. Now we have computer systems in the school from the early to mid 1990s. As we move stuff in and figure out what we want for the computer system. Jeremy and I want to have all OTX-West computers in the school even in the computer lab. This way OTX-West would provide all the support for the computers and all the computers would be on the same page. Then buy flatscreen monitors for the computer lab to conserve space and make the computer lab more attractive. One big pain in the ass is that some of these old ass computers are literally bolted to the tables in the school. Nobody has the keys to open the locks. It's just a fucking mess. There isn't much organization at the school with some things.

With those computers moved now, we have freed up space to store extra books downstairs. That would clear up space in the classrooms. Also now I have a place to move spare desks. Before my class was too crowded. More desks than students. Now I'll be able to move desks downstairs into the basement. This will make my class feel a whole lot better. Space is important.

School is starting soon and I'm excited for it. I'm completely unexcited for doing anything related to teaching credential stuff. This teaching credential process is a load of hooping jumping bullshit. But companies like ETS are making a fuckin fortune off of it. Most of the people coming up with the standards for the credentialling process have no teaching experience at all.

... Jeremy has been redoing my bike and I got a sneak preview. There is a new handlebar to change my center of gravity. Street tires so that I can get around faster. New crank, gears, and shifters. I'm going to have a much better bike for my purposes and I didn't have to spend any money on it. Then I'll be able to bike around more. Move away from car culture. Get more exercise. Get to places faster than walking and running with less effort. Great for the environment.

No comments: