Sunday, August 21, 2005

Wedding

So the week of the wedding was hectic to say the least. We had a lot of people in our small place and it was crazy. But I got a chance to really hang out with Allison's brother Aaron and that was cool. He's a cool guy and he came out to party. He was out here without his wife (she's pregnant) and daughter (hard to travel with) so he was down to have fun. It was pretty funny. He was saying shit like he wanted to see movies that little children weren't allowed to see.

It was really touching to have my friends come to the wedding. The day of the wedding was so much fun. One hitch was that our photographer got lost. We gave her directions but she got lost and didn't bring a map with her. She was calling me on my cell phone and I had no idea where she was. I had to hunt her location down on a map and then give her directions on how to get to the location. She arrived real close to the ceremony time, but she finally got there. Then during the festivities she ran out of batteries and we had to wait for her to charge her batteries. Backups?? No backup batteries? It was ridiculous. She wasn't the most professional but I guess we got what we paid for.

The ceremony started with my friend Jare walking down the aisle followed by my mom and step dad. Then I came down the stairs. I told people that when I come down they should cheer for me. But as I started to descend there wasn't any cheering. Then I raised up my hands and then my friend Katie let out a holler which was promptly followed by everyone else. I descended down the stairway to cheers and then I did a little gun shooting at people with my hands. I followed the gun shooting with hands clenched together in triumph on the left and right. Then I followed that with two handed shakas to everyone. I feel that this really set the tone for the whole wedding and everyone could be loose and have fun. Allison's parents then came down and then Allison came. She looked amazingly beautiful. Her hair, makeup, and dress were so beautiful. Everyone was blown away by how beautiful she looked. I was very happy to say the least.

My friend/officiant Jare administered the ceremony and said some really wonderful and touching things. Then I had my cousin Margaret read a poem by Rumi and then Allison's friend Geetha read from the Prophet by Gibran. Then I read something I had prepared to say to Allison and then she read what she wrote to me. Many of my friends seemed to get a chuckle out of my choice of wording in what I wrote. They thought it was funny that I used the word lexicon. They thought it was very me. After we read our stuff, then we did our vows. Jare read the vows and then we answered "I do" together. After that my friend Stacy brought up the rings and we put the rings on each other. Then Jare announced us and Allison and I kissed. From there it was pictures pictures pictures.

While we were taking pictures it was cocktail hour for everyone else. After we were done we had dinner. The food was good. Lots of times wedding food isn't so good, but I was pretty happy with the results. Then my buddy Stevie gave the first toast. Then Allison's friend John gave the next one and then Allison's dad gave the last one. Allison and I also went around doing the thanks for coming to everyone. After that we danced for a bit and then we cut the cake. Before we did the cake cutting allison changed into her chinese chi-pao. She was once again stunning in that. Most people weren't familiar with that type of dress so they were really taken aback by it. We cut the cake and I waited to see what Allison would do. She stuffed the cake in my face so I promptly returned the favor. I got it up her nose though, which was cool. The rest of the time we spent getting our pictures taken and dancing. My capoeira teacher played some music at the wedding and that was really cool. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see more of it cause we were taking pictures.

After the wedding we went to a local bar/restaurant/dance club to hang out. Unfortunately, it was Sunday and people weren't able to hang out for very long and drink very much. But we still had a great time.

No comments: