Saturday, July 02, 2005

Chilling

I've been waking up around noon. It's been luxurious. Considering I was getting on average 5 hours of sleep when school was in session, I got a lot of catchup. My body and mind needs the time to heal. I have to channel the inner homer simpson.

I installed linux on a computer that I got from the school. I'm pretty excited to move toward linux and open source software. I love the philosophy surrounding it, especially the free part. Next I'm going to be installing an administration software system on the computer and see if I can get that working.

This summer is going to be a summer of change for me. I'm going to be closing the family business, which will be a huge weight off my shoulders. I'm going to get married. It's really trippy to be making this huge life change. I mean now soon I'll have to check the married box on various forms and applications. We become intertwined. Our two lives come together to form one marriage. I understand now why various cultural traditions use ropes in their marriage ceremony. Two are bound together.

Another on my to do list is to read more books and find more stuff that is accessible to students, especially students with low skills. There is a skill level problem that I wasn't prepared for when I started. It was stunning to me to find out that elementary school kids in the rich area of the neighboring district had stronger writing skills than many of the high schools that I am working with. This upcoming year is going to be a real challenge. Having my own CTM is going to be a whole different story. I'm going to be trying to keep track of around 20 or so kids, doing all the office minutiae associated with it. My co-worker Bobby said he was willing to split the CTM with me. If I get this computer system in that will make his work a lot faster he might have more time to take care of other shit. The work doesn't end you just get to other stuff faster.

The other thing I want to do is dance more and see more shows at stern grove. Allison and I have to get ready for the dancefest that will be our wedding. Well at least we hope it's a dancefest. It would really make me happy if people that don't normally dance would get out an dance and have a good time. We want to create an environment where everyone feels comfortable to get out and dance.

No comments: