Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Wedding stuff

So I'm on my spring break from work and of course this is the time that my body decides to get sick. It's one of those things where when you finally get a chance to rest your body crashes and you are all fucked up. But I can't just sit around and feel crappy, I still have to do work.

One of the things that I need to work on is stuff for the wedding. Since we are trying to cut down on costs (ridiculous how much these things cost) we are looking to hire a photography student. I'm posting online job posts and might have to do some leg work and post actual real life paper postings somewhere. I'm excited for our wedding but shit there is a lot of planning. We are getting married on August 14, 2005 finally. The wedding has been postponed a few times but because of that we are actually ahead of schedule on things. We got the place, caterer, DJ, bateria, and all we need now is the photographer.

I've realized a few things about weddings... First off they aren't about me. It's the woman's day. It really is. As much as it is supposed to be our day, its not. But hey I'm ok with that. I love her so let her have her day. I get concessions, like I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt and black pants. But nobody cares how I look. Everyone is interested in how the bride looks. Secondly, if we can get through the planning then the whole marriage thing should be ok. I mean some of the worst fights we've had have been over the wedding. My good friend Christine said that she read that weddings rank up there with some of the most stressful events in someone's life. Up there with funerals and stuff. GREAAAAT!!! Third, I don't like the patriarchial transfer of property that is most wedding. We aren't doing any veils and her dad ain't handing her over to me as I wait in front of God and the altar.

We are going to do our own thing. We are writing our own vows and my lil buddy Jare is going to officiate the wedding. Jare is going to get a one day license to marry and marry us. It's cool, I like it cause it's personal. Jare is my good buddy, even if I do irritate the shit out of her sometimes.

I'm not even going to have a best man. Though my buddy Stevie will be giving the first toast. We thought a lot about the whole best man thing and the bride's maid. We decided to not go that way. Everyone will be there to witness as our friends. However, I thought that Stevie would be a good choice to give a toast. He's my boy, I trust him, and I know he'll be good. We're close like brothers. People roll their eyes when we get together cause we argue right away. But it's all in good fun and we never get offended, though people think we are really going at it. We just like to argue and debate about things. It's our natures.

We are also going to be dancing samba at our wedding. Allison and I met when I was doing capoeira and she was doing samba. So we're going to have a bateria (brazilian band) and a DJ play music at the wedding and rock the house. We're dancing samba for our first dance and we're going to have someone teach some samba moves so that everyone can get up and dance. We love to dance so we're going to force everyone to dance at least once.

No comments: