Monday, April 11, 2005

Long time no blog

Shit.... I forgot that I had this thing for the longest time.

Well life has changed a lot for me. I'm now teaching high school history at an alternative high school in West Oakland. I'm teaching Asian-American studies, US history 20th century, and Multicultural Ed. I got spring break right now and need the break. I've been teaching for about a month and am worked. I was hired on a Friday and started on a Monday. I'm lesson planning for 3 different classes and going to school to get my teaching credential. While I'm not worried about my content knowledge, I am worried about my pedagogy.
I used to hate school and hate history, but then my life changed and I fell in love with knowledge. Now I have trouble remembering how much I hated school. My teacher mentor, Dr. Epstein, told me that I need to tap back into when I hated school. I need to find a way to connect to the students. I have an insatiable need to connect to people and I think that teaching was an avenue for me to help fill that need. Business just wasn't cutting it for me.
Right now though I've been getting the student hazing. I feel like Cartman going around saying "Respect my authority!" Considering the way that I treated teachers when I was a student, I suppose this is my karma. I've been talking to my therapist (everyone get one) and she was saying that my expectations are too high. Perhaps...
When I think about it, the kids probably won't remember half of what I teach them. If they get one thing from me I hope it's to look inside themselves. Some philosopher said that the unexamined life isn't worth living, I think it was socrates. In my asian-american studies class I teach the kids various religions and beliefs all to get them to look within themselves. I don't want them to be a specific religion, they must choose their own path, but I do want them to look within and have a path.
I have to do more reflection on my pedagogy and I suppose I'll start to use this blog to keep a record. Maybe someone will be interested and maybe some will offer help.

No comments: