Thursday, April 28, 2005

Pedagogy and Praxis Day 9

Today I started off all the classes reading "Animal Farm". Then I had them review their vocab flash cards. Then I pulled sticks and had students answer what the vocab words were. I'm thinking of writing the definition tomorrow and having them give the word all Jeopardy Style.

In my Asian American Studies class, I moved the test to Monday since Pam Africa came in and I didn't get to review with the students the way that I wanted to. I realized because of Pam I had forgotten to teach them how to make an outline. So today I showed them how to make an outline of the reading "Streets of Gold" by Curtis Chang. Their homework for tomorrow and the weekend is to make outlines for all the topics we've studied so far. I told them that they will be able to use notes for the test but only notes that were in outline format or semantic (cognitive) maps or other structures. I really want to hammer home the idea of learning study skills.

In my US history class, I had the students finish the SQ3R. They did the reading, recite, and review part. They had to fill in the answers to the questions that they made. I realized that we are coming to the middle of the trimester and we haven't gotten as far into US history 20th century as I would like. I assigned students textbooks to take home, and then I gave them as homework the SQ part for the next section of Chapter 10. I really want them to learn SQ3R so that we can get through the textbook readings faster and with greater retention. That way we can get to other readings that I want to like "People's History of the United States" and "History Lessons".

In my Multicultural Ed class I totally messed up. I did a KWL on what did they know about California Pre WWII. But I only did the K part and didn't to the W part. I don't know why I did this. This class was pretty frustrating today with all the flirting and talking out of turn. But at the same time I had students that rarely speak and do well answer questions that I gave them. Maybe it's the popsicle sticks but I called on 2 students that usually sit around doing nothing or talking and they both gave me the right answer to the vocab word. Then when I asked them something for the KWL and both gave me an answer. Usually they would just say I don't know, but this time they both said something and they were right on target. So I gave him a 10 on his contract today. But I didn't do the W and I will have to do that tomorrow. Instead of going to the W I had them review pictures of California pre WWII. I had them look at the picture, explain what was going on in the picture, was it impromtu, what did it show about life pre WWII. etc etc.

All in all I felt today was a good day. I am more in a groove. I am getting along with students. I have a better idea of what I am going to do in classes. Things are going pretty well. I know that I am going to regret writing these words and that they will come and smack me back in the face.

No comments: