Friday, April 22, 2005

Pedagogy and Praxis Day 5

I got 6 hours of sleep today... I'm so happy. This is waaaay better than what I was getting on the other days. Would you like cheese with my whine?

So today was vocab quiz day and makeup work day. I had all the classes give definitions for the 5 words. (imperialism, revolution, despotism, monarchy, and sovereignty) This was a complete and utter failure. Last week I gave a fill in the blank and that was ok... but I tried to give higher standards this time and it didn't work out so well. I am thinking that I have to do something totally different with the vocab. I can't just give it to them and expect them to study it and learn it, cause it wasn't working. I'm thinking that I will hand out notecards on monday and have them copy the word on one side and the definition on the other. Then maybe find some time at the end of class on tuesday and thursday where they quiz each other on the vocab words. I'll have to see how that will work for them.

After that I showed semantic (cognitive) mapping to all the classes again as a way to flesh out their ideas for their final project. Then I handed out the list of missing assignments and helped the kids get on task with either their assignments or final project. I bought 2 stamp from OfficeMax with a "past due" and a "received and date" and both are getting far too much of a workout.

At the beginning of 3rd period (after lunch) the administration got on the intercom and had all the students go back out to lunch area and pick up trash. The backyard was a mess. The kids just eat their food and throw their shit everywhere. We have part part part time custodians so everyone is pretty much responsible for keeping the school clean. It bugs the shit out of me that the kids throw shit everywhere. If there is one major pet peeve that I have it's littering. Everyday after class I get my broom and sweep up the class and the place is always full of trash. I am always trying to keep an eye out for kids littering, but it's never them... It's always just around them.

I had an painful experience today in one of my classes with one of my students. This student is a beautiful young lady with a very good heart and I respect her. But she is filled with anger and unhappiness. It exudes from her being and you can see the effect on her face. She is a strong and tough young lady, but I can tell she is forced to put up a tough front when maybe she doesn't want to. I said as much to her and as I was talking to her she started tearing up. It is painful to see so many young kids hurting and not being allowed to be the person that they want to be because of their circumstances. This is Freire's definition of oppression. Not being allowed to be more fully human. Not feeling like you can express the gamut of emotions. Not being able to be soft when you want to be soft. Not being loved when you need it.

I think that students are starting to warm up to me. They all want to trust but are afraid to, because there are a lot of people that cannot be trusted.

No comments: