Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Praxis of Pedagogy

What an interesting day today. I went to a nearby local newspaper with my journalism class and met an incredible character. This guy was a big pimp in Oakland back in his day. Ran 7 white women. Was in the jail for 2nd degree murder. He had a crazy life and story and could chop it up. He definitely had the gift of gab. While I have major ethical and philosophical differences with his once chosen lifestyle, I admire his ability to manipulate people and situations using his speaking ability. Pimps are masters of the mind fuck. I mean they have women running around having sex to feed their lifestyle. That's power. One thing that he told me that tripped me out was that 16th and Market was nicknamed Baby Mart cause there were 9 year old prostitutes working the streets. Trip the fuck out. The environment that my students grow up in is disheartening. Enervating. What a unique character that knows a side of the city that I'll never know. Aka the seedy underbelly. Definitely a fascinating learning experience for me. The kids have so many negative images around them that it's hard to transcend the situation. It's sad to see a kid drive their life into the ground looking for the slightest bit of pleasure to escape their miserable existence.


No comments: