Monday, January 16, 2006

I love MLK Day

Let me start by saying that I will enjoy a paid day off for all of these holidays, but MLK is my favorite federal holiday.

So New Year's Day is cool. I like it, but it really has no meaning. It's a time marker thing. Another year. A NEW year. Whatever. There really is no major difference between December 31 and January 1. We just have big hype over it. Chinese New Year's is coming up. It's a different marker, but just a time marker. It's a reason to party and I'm down with it.

Washington, Memorial, and Independence Day. I know the white founding fathers didn't have my ass in mind when they were having their little revolution. The guys fucked up cause they put it in writing. Then people like King could call them on it. National holidays are crazy cause they just reinforce nationalism. An identity that people have taken to a level where it's almost sacred.
My bro is like that. It's a fanatical trip. Protect the state. Anyways, what am I supposed to think about? George Washington is to America what Abraham was to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. That we got one on the man cause he put it in writing? What am I supposed to BBQ and where do I watch fireworks?

Labor Day: Throw the workers a bone and then go back to oppressing them. You can still BBQ in Northern California.

Columbus Day and Thanksgiving: Those are entire rants by themselves. Still able to BBQ in October but you might have to wear a fleece. Thanksgiving you bake or deep fry. No more BBQ.

Veteran's Day: Alright. People served in their own way. I just don't happen to like policies people had to carry out. But that's not the veteran's fault. By any means. Holiday for them. How do I celebrate? Dinner out?

Christmas: I've previously written about it. I'm not Christian and I think that goes against the 1st amendment. Cider anyone?

But MLK day. The US government recognizing a man who was down with the struggle. A black man! A man whose writings trashed the US government, and if alive would probably still. Now that's cool. That the US really only focuses on his "I have a Dream" speech is bothersome but makes sense. Don't want to go too deep into what he was about. It's almost like Constantine turning Christian. MLK day means something to me. It's the part America that I'm down with. What are we supposed to do to celebrate it? Are there any stores open? Maybe I should conspicuously consume. I'll probably just end up lesson planning and grading though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad MLK is the least celebrated day by coporate America. I tried to get my Chicano boss to give me a day off last year but he said, "You don't see us taking days off for Mexicans!"