Thursday, January 12, 2006

Day 119-120: The Praxis of Pedagogy

On Tuesday I started off all the classes with a journal write on if they were happy with the type of person that they were? What type of person did they want to be? And a few other questions along the same line. Lots of people seemed to get into this one. My classes are heavy on self-reflection.

On Tuesday 1st period, we finished up the placards and then I had students present placards and explain what they saw, the symbolic motive that they chose (economic, political, ideological, religious, and exploratory), and why they chose that motive. After that I told them what the picture actually was. Most of the students were dead on with it. I'm really liking the TCI stuff and now I feel like I have a better foundation to work from.

In second period, we read more of "Things Fall Apart." I have to get them more interactive with this. I am having them make a bookmark with me but I have to ask more thumbs up, thumbs down questions. I'm also going to give them time to make their bookmarks better with pictures.

In 3rd period, I gave students time to research their characters. Kids are getting into this. They are researching and getting on the internet and working together. I'm interested in seeing how this press conference goes.

In 1st period Wednesday, we started into the rulebook. Jeremy led that while I went around showing kids their grades. We're going to have the rules test next week and the students have to pass it to pass the class. And they have to pass the class to stay in our school. For the 2nd hour, we had a guy come in and talk about drugs with the students. He's a really good presenter and they are always interested when someone is talking about drugs.

In 2nd period Wednesday, we got final copies from students and started putting together our zine. It's pretty cool cause it's actually coming together. I think once we put out our first one then students will be more excited for the second. When they start to get their first readers they will be more into it.

I was at school Tuesday night till 7 cause we were having a big board meeting. Some folks want to close down my school and we have to position ourselves so that we don't get closed down. There is a lot of planning and shit to do. As I've written before, the school is rather archaic. I just put in the mail a check to get a domain name and hosting for a website. We are going to compile all the information about the school onto this website so that we can start to have a media campaign. Get our name and info out there. My school has been around for more than 30 years but it's the best kept secret in the city. We're going to have to change that.

No comments: