Sunday, January 22, 2006

Day 125-126: The Praxis of Pedagogy

Ok 125 days of blogging I can get off the lesson planning for a while and just talk about what I see and think in general.

There are a lot of hurt kids out there. And they are still little. Their bodies may be physically mature/maturing, but they are mentally and emotionally incredibly immature. Transitioning from elementary to high school was a big jump for me. This has been an incredible experience for me and I'm having fun. Don't get me wrong, there are things that I just hate about teaching, e.g. grading. But overall, I'm having a lot of fun. Working with the kids is great. I don't really have any discipline problems anymore. I can't remember the last time I had to yell at a kid. It's pretty cool. I think I'm required to do far more than I get paid for, but I knew what I was signing up for. The experience and environment is constantly stimulating and challenging. Other than more money, what else could I ask for.

I also feel like I've gained the respect of fellow teachers and students. If there's one thing that I've learned working with kids, it's that you can't get shit from them unless they respect you. That's why one of the new teachers can't get his class on lockdown. They don't respect him. And truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan myself. Gaining the respect of my peers is a nice thing to have too. I just feel like I can be myself around them. My high school teaching experience will be a year at the end of this quarter. The first year is always the hardest. Very intense experience.

No comments: