Saturday, February 11, 2006

Praxis of pedagogy

I really bummed about not getting to blog more. But I'm just doing too much as my kids would say. Fucking working like a Chinaman. On Tuesday I admnistered the CAHSEE. That is the California High School Exit Exam. Every kid has to pass it to graduate. There is an essay portion of the test. I read the question. It was the stupidest, most obtuse, ridiculous, preposterous question. Kids were baffled. It was bullshit. The people that makes these tests are fucktards. High stakes standardized testing is such bullshit. Creating more pressure on a student won't make them do better. But that took all day to administer and then I had class from 4-7. The week was just a blur. Trying to teach kids how to come up with a thesis and give them time to read up on their final projects. I also had to deal with crazy CTM shit. Calling around looking for a "lost" CTM. The girl ran away to her girlfriend's house. Turned off her cell phone. Told grandma she was getting on a bus and never came home. Stupid fucked up shit. I'm calling all around getting ahold of kids to see if they know where she was. We get everyone together the next day and all the "reasons" that my CTM ran away seemed to quickly lose their basis. I totally felt stupid in front of the grandma. I never fully realized it until just now. But that CTM is full of shit. Nice girl. I get along with her. But she's full of shit. Her and her buddy. Both are in my CTM. Both... full of shit. This is actually a good thing for me to realize about them. It will make my interactions with them more productive. Anyways, all this shit was done afterschool. I was calling around at 7PM till 8PM. I had a burrito I wanted to eat that in peace. It's the part of the job that is the best/worst at the school. Good close interpersonal relations. But more than just a job.

I'm getting observed next week. It's good but it makes me stressed also.

Ok here's the part that never gets talked about. Farting. Sometimes you just got gas and holding it in will give you a stomachache. In a lot of other jobs you can just get up and go to the bathroom or something. Not so with teaching. You got a whole lot of kids. It's ridiculous. I walk to corners of rooms or pretend to look for something in my closet. But you can't just cut one when you're giving instruction. It doesn't work like that. This one teacher I know would fart around kids that pissed him off and then walked away. Chemical/biological passive aggressive warfare. Fucking hilarious. I was dying when I heard it.

I don't like using the bathroom facilities at my school. No lock on the inside. You gotta yell out and hope the other side can hear you. Makes me feel too vulnerable. It would be the ultimate in embarrassing. Would have trouble making eye contact with that person for a while and we got a small staff. So be cool through school.

No comments: