Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Praxis of Pedagogy

God damn what a fucking week. The beginning of the week was all taken up by getting together the grades for the school. Jeremy and I bust our humps creating progress reports for the whole school using easy grade pro. It was a draining fucking effort but the result was pretty good. It's not perfect but we've been instituting an entirely new grading system for the entire school. Shit... we are the fucking IT department. So I'm pretty happy having gotten that out of the way. But I was supposed to turn in a week of detailed ( I mean practically scripted verbatim) lesson plans on Tuesday to my teacher. I didn't turn it in and she busted my balls about it. I just didn't have the fricking time in the week though. It wasn't a lack of desire it was a lack of hours. I realized it this week but I've been putting in 15-16 hour days for a while now. Now I bust on my kids when they don't turn in their work, but for the vast majority of it all they do is school. A lot of them don't have jobs, so their only job is school. I got a FULL time job teaching and going to school.

On Wednesday we had a board meeting from 4-7PM and luckily my principal and our 30 year veteran teacher had my back when talking to my advising teacher. They told her about how I was busting my balls working. That made me feel better and gave me a brief reprieve, but I still had to turn in my work ASAP. This coming week is going to be another killer. I got the detailed lesson plans, Tuesday and Wednesday classes from 4-7, and doing all the shit that I need to not look like a complete fool in front of my students. They've turned in a bunch of stuff to me that still hasn't been graded yet. Grading is totally out the door for me to the detriment of my students.

In other news, I've been working with this cool girl Nora to try and get vegetarian food up in our school. We talked and she told me the first thing that we need to do is see if there is a demand and if people will buy it. So I had students fill out a questionnaire and I got back one of the funniest responses. The question was, "Do you know some reasons why people choose to go vegetarian?" A student answered, "I don't know. But I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to just eat salad." I was fucking rolling. What a funny and honest answer. I may disagree with it, but I can respect it.

What a week. I'm fucking tired. I had my saturday class and I said that I was going to party. AL and I went to this club to go dance cause i had to get it out of my system. Now it's superbowl time. I want Seattle to win cause they are west coast, but Troy Polamalu is my favorite football player. But whoever wins, I just hope it's good.

No comments: