Saturday, November 19, 2005

Day 97-100: The Praxis of Pedagogy

Wow, I had no idea that today was the 100th day since blogging. Sweet!!! Anyways, Tuesday and Thursday was just presentations. Not enough students turned in papers or did presentations. Lots just didn't do anything. This isn't good and I'm going to have to reassess how I did this cause this happened last time and I have to do things differently. I'm going to have to do a whole lot more guided practice to get the students to the point where they can do the work well. There is definitely a part of the situation where they weren't doing the work but there was also a part where I wasn't helping them out enough to get the work done. I've decided to take every Friday next quarter and devote it to how to research and write research papers. My tentative new warm up order is SSR w/ typing tutor on Monday, Journal Write on Tuesday, Read along on Thursday; and Community building activities, research tips, and students do a current event.

On Wednesday, we finished up Ghost Dog and I found out some crazy news about one of my CTM. We were watching Ghost Dog and at the end of the movie Ghost Dog gets shot. My CTM stepped out of the room and couldn't watch it. I went to see what was going on and he told me that his brother just got gunned down by robbers. So he had to leave the room to deal cause he couldn't handle watching the movie. This is the CTM that has been causing me lots of trouble and who I totally decided to just not even stress over. But when I heard this... well I'm not a heartless bastard. I talked to his mom and offered my condolences to her, but shit. That is some rough fucked up shit. His dad is gone and so is his brother. Real rough to have all that shit going on.

Today, I watched the Ali G show with students and we hung out. It was supposed to be the Native American heritage assembly but we had so many cancellations that we just decided to postpone it. I also played some chess with students. Also found out that the school got jacked for a bunch of laptops and a DVD player. Mother fuckers!!! And we're thinking that it was an inside job cause people got into classrooms that were locked with no sign of breakin. Fucked up mother fucking sacks of shit! So probably some disgruntled worker in the district that has a master key decided to rob my poor ass school. Crabs in a mother fucking barrel. Go fucking rob Piedmont or something. But that won't happen cause the cops will do something if rich people get robbed. Shit... I ain't even been at this a complete year and the school has been broken into twice. Refuckingdiculous.

Anyways, now I'm on 1 week break before the start of the new quarter. I'm gonna be teaching world cultures again but instead of Asian American history I got multicultural literature. Totally out of my area of expertise, but I'll have to do something. I don't read a lot of fiction and if it is fiction it's sci-fi.

No comments: