Sunday, November 06, 2005

Day 91: The Praxis of Pedagogy

In my first period class, we talked about when we should have a test and it was decided that we would have the test on Tuesday. Students felt that if they had it on Thursday that they wouldn't remember anything from the study day on Tuesday. After that, we talked about the Congress of Vienna and how European countries worked together to contain France. I related this to gang warfare and told students that if they can understand the dynamics of gang interaction then that would give them insight into world history and state interaction. I got a few gang members in my class so this actually draws them in. When I ask questions they intuitively know the answer. After I lectured on this, we finished up "The Corporation."

In my second period class, I gave students a timeline of Gandhi's life and talked a bit about what he did. I explained to them the caste system and Gandhi's reaction to it as well as how he defied the British imperialists and helped to drive them out of India. The man is an interesting guy and his story draws people in, especially when I describe satyagrahis that walk into clubs and beatings. To walk into violence without raising your hand against the other takes serious courage and resolve. I for one don't have that courage and resolve. I would hit the person and fight back physically and violently. I don't like getting hit and I'd rather be hitting back then just letting someone do it to me. Then we read some more of gandhi's words. But about halfway through the class I had to go on a field trip with my 3rd period. More than half of our small school went on this field trip so the principal just made it a minimum day. So classes went straight through till 1:00.

So the field trip was to see a Dia de los Muertos dance performance. We walked to it from school which took us about an hour after we broke up for lunch. It was pretty damn good. Short but good. Interesting to see the various styles of dance from different states in Mexico. Interesting way to respect the dead too. Very different from my Chinese background. Chinese will leave shit out for the dead but have no desire to hang around and meet up with any. I remember being in Taiwan during the hungry ghost festival. That is the day when all the ghosts come out and wander around the streets. Fucking Taipei was empty. There weren't very many cars out at all. Everyone was at home so that they wouldn't meet up with any ghosts in the street. It's a trip to have a city that is so bustling be so dead. It was actually really eerie.

No comments: