Monday, November 14, 2005

Day 96: The Praxis of Pedagogy

Today was time for people to turn in their final papers and do their presentations. Unfortunately, most people didn't turn in their papers in my first and second period classes. Not surprisingly, there were also a bunch of students absent on the day of their presentation. Funny how that is. How unfortunate that they find themselves sick on that day. It's almost like they are... cutting. In my 1st period classes, one of my CTM didn't have his shit together at all. He was making up excuse after excuse after excuse. Saying shit like he couldn't download OpenOffice and the CD that I gave him didn't work. But I spoke to him and reminded him of the fact that he has been assigned hours afterschool and that he has had plenty of time to work on it afterschool. This kid has been rude to me and so I've essentially washed my hands of him. I mean I'm still talking to him and stuff but I'm not breaking my back and going out of my way to make sure he's done his work. So now our interactions are great. He's far more respectful to me now that I don't give a shit. And now that I don't give a shit, I find that dealing with him is far easier on my blood pressure.

My 2nd period didn't have their shit together at all. Nobody presented. So instead we talked about Native American Heritage Month and I showed them "Incident at Oglala" about Leonard Peltier. I also had 2 papers turned in. This has been my worst class all trimester by far.

3rd period was much better. I got more papers and I had students do presentations. Presentations were better and this is by far my favorite class.

Afterschool I had students making up hours and I took one of my CTM around to see where she is in her classes. I know she's not passing my class right now and she is also messing up in Bio. She will however pass her Algebra class. She should be a sophomore but she has 3 credits to her name. And those aren't credits in core classes. I have to remember that if she passes 1 class that is a huge improvement for her. That would be her first high school core class that she got credit for. While she has a WAAAAYYYS to go, that is an improvement and she has to start somewhere. Just expecting her to all of the sudden pass all her classes and be on track is unrealistic of me. She has a fucking crazy life. Mom's addicted to drugs and she lives with her grandma. She's come out of the closet and is dealing with that. Her skills... Anyways, I told her at the beginning of the quarter that I don't care if she dates girls. But if the girls get in the way of her doing her work, then she needs to stop fucking around with the girls. I also spoke to her girlfriend and told the girlfriend that she needs support. Here I am giving advice in a lesbian relationship. It's funny, but really no different from a hetero one. You still got to support and care for the other. While I'm sure there are specific things that come up that pertain only to lesbian relationships, I'm not dealing with that shit. Girl still needs to get her work done.

No comments: