Thursday, December 29, 2005

Reflections on Christmas

I'm not Christian. But Christmas is everywhere in America. I understand that. This is a predominately Christian nation. There is the ideal of secularism but not necessarily the reality of it. How very American. Lofty lofty ideals...not so much in reality. But Krishna bless America for having those ideals, cause we can use it like a promissory note. Of course, that promise needs to be exacted, but still it's there.

So here's the thing. AL celebrates Christmas. Not in the Christ-Mass way but in the secular pagan way. The ritual of it. The assurance of it. That's fine. But I don't. And I don't really want to celebrate it. I mean I'm down with what Jesus was all about, but Christmas definitely isn't the embodiment of his values and ideals. Jesus was the cat that went around and hung out with all the people at the bottom of society. The beggars, lepers, prostitutes and tax collectors. He said you can't serve both God and Mammon. He overturned money changers' tables in the temple. He said God judges us by how we treat the least among us. He turned water into wine making him a party favorite. He said don't judge others lest you be judged. When do I ever use the word lest other than when quoting Jesus (or rather the translation of translations compiled into text by the fair and just Roman Empire.) In short, Jesus was down with the people. If he was around now he'd be killed all over again. He was cool. But Christmas now is a perversion of that spirit and his actions. It is an emphasis on his birth rather than how he lived his life. It is a Roman usurpation of Mithra's Day. Old Saint Nick? Christmas Trees?? Fevered Consumerism??? My interpretation of Jesus's life, words, and actions doesn't see Christmas as what he'd want for people. He'd want people to give a damn about people. Not just the people we know, but the people we don't. The people on the bottom of society. He'd want us to live authentic lives. He lived the life that he wanted for others, except for that whole crucifixion thing. That was his cross to carry. That was his thing. Jesus loved everyone like they were his family. What a fucking cool guy he would have been to hang out with.

All this controversy over saying happy holidays instead of merry Christmas is stupid. Christmas is a federal holiday. I'll take a day off for it, no problem. I do feel that having it as a federal holiday is a violation of the 1st amendment. I also know that those in government don't give a rat's ass what I think. The real thing is that the corporates wants to make their money and so they will try to stay as neutral as possible and that pisses off the fundamentalists. The fricking fundamentalists.

I'll stop and think about all the cool revolutionary shit that Jesus did. I'll even wish a Merry Christmas to those who do celebrate it. I just don't want to feel compelled to celebrate it. Obligated. Talk about societal pressure. What do we call people that don't celebrate Christmas? Grinch. Scrooge. Pagan. Could I have some more secularism in government please? Just a bit more. Insert young English Dickensian voice.

No comments: