Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Olympics in China

The Olympic torch went through San Francisco today. Gavin Newsome pulled an Operation Fortitude on everyone. This is a high profile controversial issue for China and the world.

Let me start by saying, I absolutely support the desire of the Tibetan people for their independence from China. But I also think there is a demonization of China going on. There's nothing China is doing the US hasn't done. Ask the native Americans. Yes, I wish China didn't work with Sudan. I also wish my school's SIMPLE IRA with American Funds didn't invest in Sudan either. Yes I wish China didn't sell arms to fucked up countries, but I also wish the US wasn't the largest arms dealer in the world. The West wants to control China like it did in the late 1800's. The West knows that China is a sleeping giant. Better to have as much leverage and influence in the development over that giant as possible.

I think there is a Shangri-la-ization (I know I'm making up words) of Tibet and all thing Tibetan. While I'm down with the desire of the Tibetan people I'm not a fan of the Dalai Lama. I don't like feudal theocrats. Theocrats sucks whether they are in Iran, the Vatican, Tibet, or anywhere else. Children picking personal objects is no basis for a system of government. Tibetan Buddhism is very en vogue right now. It's the TM of the moment.

Tibetan sovereignty is important but so is Hawaiian sovereignty. China invades and takes over Tibet 1950. US overthrows the Hawaiian government 1893 and makes Hawaii a state 1959. People are making this more of an issue because of the demonization of China and the exoticization of Tibetan Buddhism and the Dalai Lama.

No comments: