Sunday, October 14, 2007

Raiders Thoughts

I've been a Raiders fan for a while. In that time, I've had a lot to complain about. For the longest time, I have been harping on why the Raiders don't use a zone blocking scheme. When I first learned what a zone blocking scheme was I became a convert. As much as I hate the Broncos, I respect what they do. Terrell Davis' game in the Superbowl really showed me the power and importance of the running game. Elway was choking in the '97 Superbowl. They won that Superbowl on the legs of Terrell Davis. Terrell Davis and the lightest offensive line in the league. However, Denver had the zone blocking of Alex Gibbs. Then Gibbs goes to Atlanta and they are a top running unit. Then, Gibbs consults and Tom Cable is learning the scheme. Now we got Tom Cable and the line is 1000% better. Lamont Jordan, a RB I've never been impressed by, was running like a champ under the zone blocking scheme. Then, Justin Fargas, another RB I've never liked, comes in and runs like a champ. The scheme is why Denver has been producing 1000+ yd backs for so long. Blocking is also better in pass protection. To put things in perspective though, Miami sucks shit.

No comments: