Monday, August 28, 2006

First day back

When school starts you don't just ease back into things. You just jump headfirst into it. As I walked up the stairs all I could think was... "fuck! Fuck! Shit!" I wanted another week of vacation. But then you gotta pay the bills. I started off with my CTM and I had them write up a list of 3 academic goals and 2 personal goals.

I really want to work on taking better care of my CTM. Last year I was so overwhelmed with all the things going on in school and my personal life that I didn't get to give my CTM the attention that I wanted to. I will say though that I had 2/3 of my students trend upwards in their cumulative GPA. I got 2 new CTM and will probably get 4 more to take me to 20. There are still some kids enrolling and there was an orientation today so there will be more kids enrolling after interviews are done.

In my classes, I had students make bumper stickers with their names and 4 answers to personal questions in the 4 corners. Then we shared what was on their bumper sticker. This was just an easy way to build community and for students to share things about themselves. My 3rd period Asian American studies class only has 4 people in it right now. That rocks!!! Of course the number will change and it will get bigger but not substantially bigger. This will be cool cause I will get to give more one on one attention and we will get to go on more field trips and stuff. I wanna take them to the Asian art museum, Japantown, and out to lunch at an Asian restaurant.

Here's to hoping the school year and my teaching will be better than last year.

No comments: