Monday, March 13, 2006

Worse than grades???

I've figured out something in teaching that I hate worse than grades. It's scheduling. At my school we don't have an administration staff that schedules students into classes. It's all on the teacher. So I have to get all the students credits up to date and schedule them for classes. It's a paperwork mess. Then to go through all that shit and have a kid get mad with me cause they don't like the classes they have... it totally sucks shit. We've also had to create independent study programs for students out of the blue. Apparently the state said that we didn't have enough instructional minutes. Independent study gives us some relief from the instructional minutes. But it's just more to plan for. The past two weeks we've had meetings almost everyday. Reefuckingdickulous. I'm on meeting overload. The level of organization and coordination is practically nonexistent. So I can't focus on my main task of teaching because I have to deal with the other tasks of administration. I hate to say it but the staff isn't getting the support from the office in terms of administration. Discipline isn't a problem and that is what holds the school together. The tone is also set by the office. But beyond discipline and tone, the office isn't doing it's job. Don't get me wrong. I love the people that I work with. I think they are a great bunch of people, but I don't think I'm getting the office is fulfilling all of its duties.

Now we've started a new quarter. And tomorrow is officially a year at my school. FUCK YEAH! What a killer crazy first year! But what a learning experience. Darwin said, "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change." I'm adapting the best that I can and feel like I'm starting to float. In the beginning I was sinking. Then I started to bob. Now I feel like I'm floating. Hopefully soon I'll be able to tread water. I'm not even at the point of thinking about swimming yet.

No comments: