Monday, March 06, 2006

Doing too much

When I get on my students to do things they don't want to do one of the things they like to say is that I'm doing too much. I've taken to heading them off by saying, "I'm told that I do too much." Then I tell them what to do. This usually elicits a smile from them and then they drag their feet and do it. Or I say, "you're not doing enough."

But lately I'm agreeing with them. I feel like I'm doing too much. I let students make up work at the end of the quarter and this ends up with me having to do a ton of work. All last week we had finals schedules and then we did meetings. Meetings to figure out our new independent study schedule. Meetings to shuffle students for scheduling. Time to call parents to set up meetings for this coming week. Figuring out scheduling for all my CTM. There has to be a fucking computer program for this shit. Jeremy and I are making this our summer project.

Start of a new quarter. I'm teaching 2 classes of World Cultures I and one class of World Cultures II. I was supposed to have a prep period but the English guy was cut from staff. He wasn't able to control the students and was constantly getting dissed. I'm happy cause that guy would piss me off all the time. Whenever we'd go out for drinks I'd see how he really was. Alcohol can show the true self sometimes. But the way that he looked down on kids it's no wonder they didn't like him.

No comments: