Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Update on my student graduating

Great news! I just found out yesterday that my CTM is going to be school Valefuckingdictorian. I'm so ridiculously jazzed. It's like the prodigal son. He was lost and now he has returned. He is going to give a speech at the graduation and everything.

One of the qualities that helps in teaching is compassion. To train in compassion, I went vegetarian. This was a precept of my religion so it really helped me spiritually and in teaching. A quality that helps with compassion is empathy. Empathy is very important in working with kids when they are hurt, but it's even better when the kid does well. To be with someone's suffering is very important, but to share in someone's joy...that rocks!

So this Friday I get to share in the joy of my students graduating and my CTM being the valedictorian. Graduation is what teaching is all about. Whether it's the joy of getting rid of kids that get under my skin or the joy of seeing kids graduate when the deck was stacked against...I'm a happy man!

No comments: